Makes 4-5 servings
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 5 to 6 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and diced (about 4-5 cups)
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup soaked brown lentils
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pink himalayan sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 bunch chard, stemmed and finely chopped
- To a large pot, add the coconut oil, onion, and garlic. Stir to combine. Increase the heat to medium and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes, until the onion is softened.
- Add the squash and and stir to combine.
- Add the broth, coconut milk, lentils, tomato paste, turmeric, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Increase heat and bring to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce the heat to medium, stir again, and simmer uncovered for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the squash is fork-tender. Reduce the heat if necessary.
- Add the apple cider vinegar.
- Optional step: Using a handheld immersion blender, blend the stew for only 5 to 10 seconds. This thickens the broth.
- Stir in the chard, and cook for another couple minutes until the greens are wilted.
- Serve and enjoy!
Adapted from this recipe from Oh She Glows.